Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A Personal Remedy for the "Monday Morning Blues" - Pastoral Reflections

Though many bemoan the emergence of the work week, pastors are especially susceptible to catching an unusually acute case of what has been coined "the Monday morning blues." On this unique phenomenon Charles Stone writes, 

"A pastor's life is filled with both ups and downs. Sundays can be either. Good attendance, a message well-received and positive people can make it an up day. Low attendance, poor offerings and critical people can make it a down day. However, in my 30-plus years of ministry, whether Sunday is up or down, I've found that most of us pastors often face the Monday morning blues" (Stone, “Monday Morning Blues? Try these Six Antidotes,” 2014)

In his own reflections on this debilitating condition Rick Duncan claims, 

"Ministers, pastors, and church planters pour themselves out for the cause of Christ over the weekend. They enter the weekend with great hope. But criticisms, lack of visible results, and conflicts show up on Saturdays and Sundays. Self-doubts and guilt feelings pile up. Many weekends, a leader will self-diagnose and do the self-blame thing for an apparent failure to communicate with clarity and life-changing power. All these disappointments combine to conspire against a leader’s hope" (Duncan, “3 Ways to Beat the Monday Morning Ministry Blues,” 2012).  

Often the minister’s joy and sense of hope struggles most as soon as the weekend comes to a close. In his own thoughts on the matter, Thom Rainer writes that Monday “can be the toughest day of the week” (Rainer, “Seven Ways Pastors can Deal with Monday Morning Blues,” 2016).


Seeing as how I suffer from my own bouts of this chronic condition more often than I’d like to admit, I can sympathize with these sentiments. Though many have offered tips or steps to combat this recurring issue (in threes, sixes, and sevens), I have, by God’s grace, stumbled upon a solution that works wonders for my own spiritual and emotional well-being—preparing for next week’s sermon on Monday morning. What I will share concerning this preventative measure is not intended to be prescriptive. Instead, the following represents my personal thoughts on a potential solution to a very real issue that is worth considering.

The Healing Power of Monday Morning Sermon Preparation

While many ministers refrain from scheduling too much on Mondays or even take the day off completely, I covet my time in my office on Monday mornings feverishly preparing for the next Sunday’s message for the following reasons:  

A Healthy Preoccupation

Inasmuch as idle hands and an idle mind can serve as playgrounds for Satan, rigorous study of God’s Word provides me with the kind of healthy preoccupation that can help stave off the demons of temptation. Not only that, but sermon preparation also distracts from the whispers of criticism or unmet expectations of the previous weekend. When I’m steeped in planning and organizing what has been yielded from my exegesis for that week’s homily, my mind is being set on things above (Col. 3:2), my spirit is fascinated by what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy (Phil. 4:8), and my ministry is focusing on what is profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16). Such thoughts are a redemptive alternative to the lingering and subversive discouragements that can sneak in uninvited when my mind is allowed to wander. These considerations also provide me with a formidable foundation upon which to minister throughout my week.

A Practical Advantage

In addition to focusing my mind on that which is helpful and holy, sermon preparation conducted at the very beginning of the week allows me a practical ministry advantage. If I’m able to prepare the majority of my sermon on Monday, I am freed up to spend the remainder of my week out in the community, meeting with congregants, strategizing, etc. Not only that, when/if something unforeseen surfaces (an unexpected death, emergency, ministry opportunity), I’m able to devote more time and attention to the players and situations involved without the added anxiety of having to make sure that my primary responsibility (preaching the Word) is fulfilled (Acts 6:4).  On the rare occasion that these “divine interruptions” take place on Monday and I am forced to put my normal preparations on hold until later, I know that I have the rest of the week to write my sermon. Either way, setting aside time on Monday to prepare gives me a ministry advantage and a feeling of accomplishment early in the week (something that in and of itself is an encouragement).

An Investment in a Great Relationship

Time spent in the Word of God is time spent with the WORD of God. I’ve always considered my time in Bible study and subsequent homiletical formulation as an investment in my personal relationship with Christ. Who better to dialogue with after coming off of the high highs or low lows that inevitably come on Sunday? He is never late, always right, and knows just what to say to correct, encourage, or challenge me as I begin my week. Therefore, rather than take a day off or schedule meetings with church members/leaders on Monday (particularly in the mornings), I have a standing appointment with the Savior of the World that is enjoyed in the form of my sermon preparation. When this meeting goes well, I can be confident that all subsequent activities and appointments will bring glory and honor to Him.


Sermon preparation directs my mind where it needs to be, provides my ministry with a practical advantage, and forces me to invest in the most important relationship that I have. Not only that, but homily-building even acts as a healing salve that can be applied to the injuries one’s fragile spirit may suffer at the hands of negative criticism, self-doubt, or the enemy’s forces. What better time is there to take advantage of these benefits of sermon preparation than when ministers are most vulnerable to discouragement, frustration, and temptation (Monday mornings)?  In fact, hitting the ground running in the Word through sermon preparation on Monday mornings just might help stave off those very real and annoying “blues.” Give it a try! What do you have to lose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment